If someone handed you a free spa package with the works – massage, facial, manicure, pedicure, fluffy white robe and a steamy soak in a hot tub – you wouldn’t think twice about booking your free spa day, right? But it has to be free and it has to be a gift given to us that makes us suddenly prioritize this time “off”.
The truth is, the more self-care and self-love we give ourselves
, the more fulfilled we feel. Because we don’t often do it (talking to you ladies), the time we take for ourselves is a way of honoring our soul. So why don’t we take more “me” time? Perhaps it’s because we’re masters at multi-tasking and naturally born caretakers, that our sense of virtue lies in the "getting stuff done" category. There’s also guilt that creeps in telling us we don’t deserve the time away. But we do. You do.
It’s a new year filled with big goals
and sweet dreams! The best way to keep yourself motivated with less burn out is to chill out with yourself
. We love to call it a home spa day (because we’re fancy), but you can call it a recovery day, mental-health day, whatever! And it doesn’t even have to be a day -- a couple hours will suffice.
Schedule your spa day. Mark it in your calendar so the time is carved out. No cancelations. Be prepared. Grab a pretty polish
, soft slippers, and grab these ingredients from the market: eggs, coconut oil, limes and beer (non-alcoholic will work too).
It’s GO time!
How to Create An Instant Home Spa Day
- Turn off your phone, light some candles, play music or enjoy the silence.
- Hop in a steamy shower. Practice the breathing you learned and love from yoga class. Take a deep inhale for a slow count of 6, hold it for 2, exhale slowly for a count of 6, and repeat. As you breathe in think about how good it feels. Breathe in what you want. As you breathe out, let go of obligations, guilt, and all negative thoughts. Let it go. Sprinkle a few drops of eucalyptus essential oil on the shower floor for invigorating aromatherapy.
- Massage appointment. Step out of the shower and pat your skin dray. Grab the coconut oil and scoop a teaspoon of oil into your palm. Starting with the feet (grab a seat on the floor or tub ledge) and begin massaging your soles, your toes, ankles and heels. Slowly massage and moisturize your way up – send love to your calves, knees, hips, tummy, sides, arms, shoulders and neck.
- Facial appointment. We learned about this beer facial recipe from Real Simple. The beer is a soothing cleanser while the yeast and egg increases the skin’s elasticity. Mix together 1 egg white, ½ cup of beer and 2 teaspoons of fresh lime juice. Lather the concoction on your face and let it dry. Rinse with a warm cloth.
- Get creative. This is the most crucial part of your day that many spa days leave out. Read, journal, play an instrument, paint, gently dance/sway, garden… anything that draws out your creative spirit. Do this now.
- When your spa day is coming to an end. Think about how good it feels to take time out for yourself. What are you grateful for, what ideas did you have, did you learn anything?
- Schedule your next spa day.